Dawson Valley Free Range

Dawson Valley Free Range

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Tri-tip

Who knows what Tri-tip is? I didn't until we started selling it, as it's a cut that we never used to keep when we killed our own meat. It's a small triangular piece of beef off the end of the sirloin. I decided to do some research on it and this is what Wikipedia had to say about tri-tip. It's most widely known in Santa Maria, California and I adjusted this recipe.  Our pieces are usually around a half kg and are perfect for a one or two person meal. It is  a very lean piece and as long as it's not overcooked, will be tender and juicy. We'll have two this weekend so if you want to give it a go let me know.

Santa Maria style Tri-tip with salsa
This is traditionally served with beans however because I was going to have the oven on I did oven chips. It went together beautifully.

I piece of Tri-tip
Dry rub - do this several hours before cooking if possible.
1 teaspoon cumin seeds - toasted in a dry frypan
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, crushed
Using a mortar and pestle, grind the spices and garlic together and rub into the meat. Allow to rest in the fridge.

Salsa
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 capsicum, chopped - use yellow or green for contrast
1/2 stick celery, chopped fine
Handful of coriander, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 or more chillies depending on how hot you like it.
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of Worcester sauce - I didn't use this because I didn't have any
Mix together and let rest for an hour if possible.

Put the chips in the oven. Brown the beef in a hot pan, on all sides. Place in the oven with the chips. The meat shouldn't take more than 20 minutes in the oven, so I will leave it to you to judge your oven heat and the timing for the chips to be cooked at the same time as the meat. The oven I was using is hotter than mine at home, so my chips were cooked way before the meat!

It was a really nice way to cook and serve this beef, and the half kg piece was perfect for Kim and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment